COVID-19 Cleaning Guidelines for Computer and Electronics:
The following will provide information for properly cleaning electronics, such as keyboards, mice, monitors, touch screens, etc. Please follow manufacturer recommendations for the cleaning products and devices you will be cleaning. This guide was made with recommendations from the CDC, Apple, and Microsoft.
General Cleaning tips:
- Never spray cleaner directly on an item.
- Ensure moisture does not get into any openings.
- Use a lint-free cloth, such as a screen wipe or a cloth made from microfiber.
- Avoid excessive wiping or submerging items in cleanser to avoid damage.
- Where possible turn off the device prior to and during cleaning.
- Do not use aerosol sprays, bleach or abrasive cleaners.
COVID-19 Cleaning Product Recommendations:
- Using a Clorox disinfectant wipe or a wipe containing 70% alcohol, gently and carefully wipe the hard, nonporous surface of the item. This includes the display, keyboard, mouse and the exterior surface of the item.
- If you have concerns about the cleaning product being used, please refer to the manufacturer’s recommendations and warning label.
- When using a disinfectant wipe, it is important to follow the contact time found on the label. It may be necessary to use more than one wipe to keep the surface wet for the recommended contact time.
- Do not use bleach to disinfect computers and electronics.
Additional COVID-19 disinfecting Resources: